Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Art Of Swimming...

Hi again.

I'm back! I had a busy day getting back into the swing of things, starting with a ride on Isabel. As for my trip, it was a lot of sitting in a "classroom" type of environment with a lot of studious and highfalutin folks, but I learned a ton crammed into three short days.

The truth is it felt like 3 long days though. There was so much information to absorb, so even though I was technically just sitting, by the time I got back to my hotel room every night, I was totally spent. I think it was more brain exhaustion.

I researched my hotel before I went so I knew it had a beautiful pool. I went and bought a new bathing suit so that I could do some swimming every night.

Little did I know how much I would need that swim. I am not exactly a great swimmer. I can swim, but it's nothing too fancy. Let's just say that I won't be winning any Olympic medals any time soon. My goal is simply to exercise and enjoy.

Anyway, when I stepped into that pool, the water was so warm and welcoming. It didn't take but two seconds for me to dive right in. I swam and swam, trying to get my heart rate going. Back and forth I went, side to side, treading water, breaststroke, backstroke, you name it, I did it...

I had the whole place to myself so it was incredibly peaceful. At the end, I floated on my back for a few minutes, ears underwater, listening to the sounds of the water splashing ever so slightly against the sides of the pool. Have you ever done that before? Honestly, it was the most relaxing part of my whole trip... being in that pool. There is something about swimming that kind of takes you outside of your own head and into another world. A tranquil, soothing world full of sounds and sensations. The swimming felt good. The floating felt even better. The sounds were relaxing. The sensations were calming. It was good. Yes, it was all good.

Now that I'm home, I have been looking into how I can make swimming a part of my weekly routine. There is a pool in town that I can use at certain times of the day for "adult free swim." Sounds kinda perfect, right?

I never realized how soothing swimming can be. I guess in the past I've always been with other people when I've gone swimming. Never did I think I could find enjoyment in it as a solitary thing. But I did. That's why I love trying new things. Had I not done this, I never would have realized the calming effect it would have on me. You just never know when something unexpectedly will add some spice or happiness or relaxation to your life. I'm trying really hard to live my life with no regrets. And trying new things is at the top of my list.


 
 
 
xo
 
 
pic via: pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment