Thursday, March 6, 2014

No Cattiness Required...

Sometimes I wonder what my contribution is to this great world we live in. Do I even contribute? God, I hope so... But it got me to thinking about what it is that I do.

I think my contributions are small. Indeed, very small in the scheme of things. But that's okay. It's all a learning curve.

As I've gotten older, I have learned the value of words. How words can lift people up or break them down. Yes, just words can do that.

Since I started my little furniture business and my day job of working for myself, it brings me so much happiness and creative freedom. It got me to thinking how much I admire women who are in the business world {because let's face it, and I hope this isn't viewed as a sexist comment, but the business world is still a bit of a man's world.} So when a woman breaks through that glass ceiling, it makes me happy. Go get em' girl, you got this!

When I see other business women badmouthing "competitors," it makes me cringe a little inside.  I know it comes from a place of their own insecurity and jealousy, but it doesn't have to be that way. We can celebrate each other, help one another, give out their name when we are too busy to complete a project, all that stuff. I do things like that all the time. Yes it's small, but it does matter.

The other day I was reading a blog where a woman was badmouthing the blogger because she had sponsors on her blog that the reader didn't like. Really? There is no reason to leave a nasty comment over something like that. Just tune out. I mean, this is how this blogger is trying to make a living for herself. Maybe she is a stay at home mom with 2 or 3 kids and needs that extra income. Why judge? Cattiness is ugly in any form. Instead, lift her up and celebrate that she figured out a way to meet her needs and make herself happy.

When we as women help to lift each other up, help each other fly, help each other to reach our dreams, goals and potential, the world becomes a better place. Then it becomes sort of contagious where others start doing the same. Quite beautiful.

So my small contribution to the world is that I try to help empower women. Never break them down.

I so strongly believe in this quote by Gandhi:

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."






xo




Pic via: pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment