Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Clever Girl...

Good morning!

I unexpectedly got some free time this morning, so I decided to blog for a few minutes.

Do you have a dog? How about a clever dog? How about a dog that is smarter than most humans? How about a dog who can outwit you in two seconds flat? Yeah, pretty annoying, huh. We have one of those too.

She is so clever that it gets on my nerves sometimes. We gate things off, block things, lock things, get new knobs so she can't open things, all to no avail. This girl wins every time. She is fiercely determined {which I gotta say, I kind of admire about her. She's definitely not a quitter.}

We have a pretty big property in the back, grass and lots of woods. Lots of fun places to run and dig if you're a dog. Originally we had the whole back of the property fenced in. But... that didn't work. Over and under it she went. So then we had to pay more money to get an electric fence plus the other fence. That did the trick.

Until... her collar stopped working. She figured it out pretty quickly. No longer did she hear a beep alerting her she was getting too close to the electric fence. So she kept testing it out... and figuring it out.

Then she saw a tree that was down from a storm way in the back of the woods that sort of went over the fence to the neighbor's yard. The other day I watched this scene:

She hopped up on the downed tree, used it as a bridge, walked half way over it to wait for a beep, heard nothing, looked back to see if I was watching, and took off over that "bridge" into my neighbor's yard. When I say yard, I really mean woods. So off and running she went through the woods. I was still in my pajamas... chasing her.

She was laughing at me... really, I heard her. Every time I got close, off she went, tail wagging, like she was having the time of her life.

The first time was funny. By the sixth time, not so much. We were finally able to get the guys out here from the electric fence company to get her a new collar.

Fun spoiled. But not really because as I sit here typing in front of my kitchen window, I can see her running around playing in the back yard like the crazy girl she is. More like dog spoiled...

Oh, the things we do for our dogs... to keep them safe, to love them, to make them happy.

We have one happy, clever, sassy girl on our hands. But I adore her with all my heart.


For the record, this is not a picture of her, but it made me laugh because that's probably what her face looked like as she was running from me!

 
 
 
xo
 
pic via: pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment