Thursday, December 5, 2013

From Blah to Beautiful...

It's been a hectic morning... things did not want function properly in my home, starting with the internet {40 minutes on the phone with the service guy,} and then my Keurig decides to sputter out only a few drops of coffee. Both eventually were fixed {phew, a girl needs her morning cup of coffee,} so now I'm ready to sit and type for the day.

While I was on the phone with the internet guy, I was in my home office, looking around, half listening to him, half deciding that I hate the way my home office looks. It's just uninspiring and blah. I spend a lot of time working from home, so right then and there (still on the phone with the internet guy) I decided that I want a space that is bursting with inspiration and creativity. I didn't tell the internet guy this though. I just kept it to myself...

There is good news and bad news... The good news is I am on vacation from December 24th through January 6th. It's really a "stay-cation" because we're not going anywhere. But that comes with more good news for me. I am going to take that week to re-do my office. I have to start with a new paint color. It is a little too dark for my liking right now, so I need to brighten it up with a fresh color palette. Maybe a creamy white or some other soft, soothing color. Something neutral for sure, but bright, soothing and happy are a must.

I have a nice rug in there already. It's a beautiful handmade Persian rug that we got from my in-laws. The only problem is that I don't know if it will match my color scheme. But we'll have to wait and see.

So here's the bad news... I don't have a ton of money to go out and buy all new furniture for that room. But, I look at that as a challenge. I will scour Craig's List to find pieces that I can refinish, make things myself, or use what I already have. I will try to buy as little as possible from an actual store. I don't like things all matchy-matchy anyway.

Aside from painting the room, my first item will be a desk. Lucky me... I already have the PERFECT one in my workshop. It's been sitting in there for months just waiting ever so patiently for me to re-do. It was my mom's, then she gave it to my brother, who then gave it to me. So it has special meaning to me. (Not so much to my brother because he replaced it with a fancy new Restoration Hardware desk. To each his own.) Here is a picture of one exactly like the one I have. I just need to paint it white. Perfect!



This is the chair that I would like. I need arms on a chair or it's not comfortable for me. I also like that the seat and back look soft and comfy. I love the nailhead trim too. I'm thinking this might be the one piece that I would have to buy from a store, but I will do my best to find it off Craig's List or Ebay first. It doesn't have to be this exact chair anyway, just something similar.



Here is a little lumbar pillow to keep my back comfy while I'm sitting on my new chair typing away on my computer. I think this can go under the DIY category. Pretty easy to make.



I have TONS of books because of my job. I love to reference them and keep them close at hand. A big, beautiful bookcase like this would make me sing out loud. Seriously. I would be in heaven. This is going to take some time, but I bet I can find it on Craig's List and then distress it myself. Love it.

 
This little side table is for holding any office supplies that I need. I love the chicken wire doors. Maybe I can find it on Craig's List, but I would probably have to add the chicken wire myself. No big deal there. I like how it has wooden boxes inside to hide my stuff.
 


This is definitely a DIY project. A burlap bulletin board to post any important reminders or bits of inspiration on. This was made from an old window frame. Very cute idea.



I want a vintage mirror that I will turn into a chalk board. Cute idea and easy DIY project. I don't think I will have a problem finding a mirror.



These are the type of vintage boxes that I want to put in the side table {see above} to hide my stuff in. If I can find about 4 of these, I'll be one happy girl. Flea markets usually have tons of these.


This is more for aesthetics than function... I love the idea of an old door leaning against the wall with a wreath on it. I will change the wreath out depending on the season. Aromatherapy is such a great mood enhancer, so the scents of each wreath will be very inspiring indeed.


Again, more aesthetic pleasure... but function too... I love old ladders leaned against the wall too. I can hang little bits of inspiration, pictures, anything really, on those rungs. I am a visual person so seeing little things that I find inspiring gets my creativity flowing.


Phew, that was a big list. Again, I don't have to find exactly these things, but they are my starting point of inspiration. Knowing that I have the desk already is the best part because to me, it's the most important piece in the room. I am looking forward to my vacation so I can get moving on my project! I hope I can finish it in a week. I will post pictures when it's all done.

Pics via: pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment