Saturday, February 8, 2014

Planning Versus Rolling With It...

Hi there!

I usually don't blog on the weekends, but I couldn't help myself... I just heard a really thought provoking statement from a strange source, but that's not the point. The point is the thought provoking statement... "I don't know my schedule tomorrow."

My first reaction was WHAT? How could you NOT know your schedule tomorrow. But it's a deliberate choice to not know your schedule tomorrow. Sounds absurd, I know... And I also know that sometimes it's just not practical to not know your schedule. When you have to be in three places at once, this probably won't work. I guess if you have a big presentation or something, this idea doesn't work either.

But here is my thought... if I go to work at 8:00 a.m., why do I need to know what I am doing at 9:00 a.m. the night before? I would still be at work at 8:00 a.m., dressed and ready for the day, right?  So why not wait until that morning to see what I have for the entire day?

What I love about this idea is that it keeps me in the present moment. Anxiety strikes when we worry about the future. Even thinking about an hour into the future can cause anxious feelings. 

But keeping mindful of right now is all we have. It's all I have. It's honestly all any of us has. Because you never know what tomorrow holds...

So the idea of not knowing my schedule until that morning appeals to me. When I look at my entire week all laid out in front of me, I sometimes feel overwhelmed with all the things I have to do. There are a lot of things to squeeze into Monday through Friday.

But taking each day as it comes somehow seems a little easier. It makes me want to squeeze in some unplanned sweet moments into my schedule. It's kind of exhilarating, right?

I am definitely a planner. I like to know ahead of time what to expect when. But... I have never even thought of doing it any differently well, because I'm supposed to know my schedule! But says who?

I am going to try out this little experiment next week... this whole "not knowing my schedule" thing until that very morning. I mean, I know I need to get up at a certain time, shower and be ready for the day... And maybe that's enough. Maybe then I just roll with it. Day by day. Instead of week by week. It's such an intriguing concept to me.

Maybe this is a ridiculous concept to you, {it's sort of ridiculous to me too, trust me} but I'm willing to give it a try. And I will let you know how it works out. Hopefully it makes things just flow... smooth, easy, stress free...

I'm always up for trying new things.

Change is good... yes, change is good.








Pic via: pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment