Tuesday, September 16, 2014

30 Day Challenge... Day 2...

I woke up this morning thinking I knew exactly what my challenge for Day 2 would be.

How quickly things can change.

I am a big believer in things happening for a reason.

Either fight it or go with it.

I go with it.

This morning I let my dog out {we have a large fenced in back property with grass and lots of woods.} He loves being outside so I didn't think anything of it when 20 minutes had passed and he didn't scratch to come back in.

I called him a few times. Nothing...

I put some food in his bowl and shook it {usually guaranteed to make him come running.} Nothing...

I went outside and started looking for him and calling him. Nothing...

I heard crunching leaves in my neighbor's back woods and was trying to see if it was him or just some squirrels. Nothing...

I started to panic. I thought he somehow got loose and was a good distance away by now. He is a rescue from Mississippi so he likes to roam and be outdoors. I was on a tight schedule and didn't want to be late for work... but I wasn't about to leave without finding him first. No way!

I was running all through our woods yelling his name. Nothing.

As I stood there unsure of what to do next and feeling totally panicked, I spotted him ever so quietly walking towards me from the other side of the woods. His nose was filthy; he was obviously digging and completely in the zone and had tuned me out 100 percent.

My first reaction was anger because he scared me half to death. But I stopped myself cold in my tracks. This was the best news I could have received. Instead of him being lost, far away from home or walking on a main road, he was by my side... safe and sound.

I immediately felt grateful. I flipped the thought switch from being angry to grateful... and just like that my day has been filled with so many things that I feel gratitude for {things I most definitely would have overlooked if my morning didn't start out the way it did.}

So my Day 2 challenge is: GRATITUDE {for big things but very small things too.}

I could go on and on with all the little things I've deeply become aware of this morning and feel true gratitude for. Not just saying it because it's the "right thing to do" but rather really feeling it deep in my bones. Yes we are all grateful for the big things: family, health, food, shelter, etc.

But stop and notice all the little things that make up your day too. Did your car start this morning? Did your kids get on  the bus safely and make it to school? Did you find your dog that may or may not have been lost? Were you able to go for a walk without being in pain? Were you able to make choices today of your own free will? Did you sleep with a blanket last night to keep you warm? Were you able to get a clean glass of water from your faucet without worring about disease or sickness?

My God, we have so many things each moment of each day to be grateful for.

xo



No comments:

Post a Comment