Wednesday, September 17, 2014

30 Day Challenge... Day 3

Happy Wednesday my loves.

Why is it that men can ask for anything they want and they are called confident whereas when a woman does it, she can sometimes be labeled the B word?

It infuriates me!

In this challenge to a better self, I want and need to work on being assertive.

Being assertive doesn't mean you have to be aggressive or a jerk. It just means asking for what you want, no bones about it. It means not backing down when you know something to be true that is not of popular opinion. It means standing your ground. It means stating your opinion in the first place. It means you are confident!

My sister-in-law is a great inspiration for me. She plays hard ball with the big boys in New York City. You know, all the Presidents and CEO's  of billion dollar companies... She is right there with them, usually the only woman in the room, probably at least 20 years younger than all of them, yet she stands toe to toe with them. Love her!  I have seen her bite when necessary. It's very impressive. She doesn't even bat an eye.

I just want a little of her fierceness coursing through my veins. The place I need to be more assertive is in the business world. I tend to lean towards being nice but that can get me burned sometimes. I know there is a balance and I don't need to be assertive all the time, but when the occasion calls for it, I want to be able to pull it from my tool box and use it. Boom. No questions asked.

I have plenty of opportunities throughout my day to practice this skill. And I do believe that it is a skill. Some people have it, some people don't. But that doesn't mean you can't learn it and get better at it if it's lacking. I know it will serve me well throughout my life to be more assertive. 

So that is my Day 3 Challenge: being ASSERTIVE.

Watch out! {just kidding.}

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment